Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Musing Life

My brain is not functioning to it's full (or even normal) capacity. As a result, this post may not come out as well-written as I would like. But they say writing is therapeutic, and I think a little therapy would probably do me good.

I actually used to journal quite a bit. My journal was, I guess you could say, a type of "best friend". When no one else would listen, or when I didn't want to bother anyone else with my sorrows, worries, or frustrations, I would turn to the journal. Since being married though, I'm not lonely. I always have someone to talk to, so journaling has become rather obsolete. Not that I want it to be that way. I really should start doing it again, because sometimes Jeff isn't in the mood to discuss what I want/need to, and sometimes our conflicting opinions don't give me the satisfaction I crave from speaking my mind.

Plus, the great part about my journal is that I can write in Italian or Spanish, and not many people who pick it up can read it. No need for a lock and key when I have the magical power of foreign language!

One subject on which I wish to expound upon is the passing of Proposition 8 in California. The passing, as I'm sure many of you know from the media attention it got, defines marriage in the state of California to be solely between a man and a woman. Meaning no gay marriage. (P.S. I use the word 'gay' to mean lesbian, trans-gender, bisexual, etc. Gay is my encompassing term. Plus GLBTS...is too complex and I always get it wrong).

The proposition was supported by many Christian religions, including my own LDS (mormon) faith. It is not common for my church to speak out on political issues, so the whole situation has been eating at me since the Church asked members in California to do all they could to help pass the prop. Am I in California? No. But does this affect me as much as it does them? I feel it does.

Politically, I am a liberal and an idealist. While I have my own opinions, I consider myself liberal because I have always felt that every individual has the right to make his or her own decisions. Isn't that what this country was based on? Individual freedom? And isn't that one of the main doctrines in the Church? We all have our agency and are free to do with it what we please? Of course, I know all decisions have consequences, whether good or bad.

For example.

Abortion is quite a heated topic. I personally believe that life begins the moment the egg and sperm unite. Two haploid cells, each with half the number of chromosomes that a human cell normally has, unite to bring the two halves together. These two halves equal one whole, one new individual. I personally would never have an abortion, unless the pregnancy fell under one of three extreme circumstances (rape, incest, or danger to the mother's health). However. This belief is my own. I feel every individual has the right to choose whether or not they will undergo an abortion. Consequences will follow. But the choice should be left to the individual. Who am I to encroach on someone's agency?

I feel similarly about gay marriage. Individuals have the right to choose. My personal belief goes with what is written in the scriptures, saying homosexuality is a sin. But that is my belief, and not all others feel that way. (P.S. Not that I am judging. I don't look at gays and think "Sinner!" I am a sinner too. I just have different temptations and hardships of my own). They have that agency to choose, consequences falling as they will. If a gay individual feels he or she is happy living that lifestyle with his or her partner, who am I to break that happiness?

So my stance has always been in support of gay rights. I have so many friends that fall under the "gay" title that I love so much. Our beliefs are different, but that doesn't change the fact that I love them, nor does it change the fact that they have their agency to make their own decisions.

You can see how I would have a hard time when my opinions about agency and choice where to be hindered by the Church's statement. Yet, I know that this is one of those times in life I would have to use blind faith. My dear friend Sarah Carr explained my feelings exactly in her blog, and I have got her permission to post it here:


"Anyway, I didn't like that the church got involved with Proposition 8. Yes, I am a little more liberal when it comes to gay rights. We don't need to open that can of worms. My main qualm about the church's involvement with the Prop is simply that I love how non-political the church is. Politics mean enemies, and I get sad when I think of people hating the gospel for such a shallow reason as politics. I will say one thing, though. I may not understand why we had to get involved in all of this, (and I may not agree completely) but I trust church leaders. I know that they are not hateful men and I know that they are men of revelation; there is a reason for all this. This might seem naive, my blind faith, but it is all that matters to me. Even so, my heart goes out to all those hurt by the passing of the proposition. I hope things will be resolved without more hate."

How perfectly she explains my torn feelings! I am a liberal, I want rights for everyone, I want people to have the opportunity to make their own choices and take the consequences. But when, through revelation, Heavenly Father needs me to go against my own feelings and follow his will, I do. I can't see the bigger picture. He is all-knowing, and for that I know, even though I wouldn't normally have supported Prop 8, faith conquers all and I do as I am asked. Am I completely comfortable with it? No, but I do know it will all turn out well. It may takes years, even decades. But in the end, it will be okay.

It is during this time that I worry. Like Sarah, I don't want hate to rule interactions with gays and straights, church members and non-members. I hope for a peaceful resolution, I hope for understanding on all sides. But, then again, I am an idealist. Of course I would hope for this.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Marni! Yes, this is Ashley Elkington and yes, I am very into politics. I've become more and more and more involved over the past years and I love it. I love this post you just did. I feel the same way about Abortion and about Gay Rights. I love reading your blogs! :)

jose carlos said...

Hola con relación a tu pregunta de si puedes usar la foto de mi blog de cocina te digo que si puedes usarla sin problema. Un saludo.

elise and jeff said...

Hi there...that would totally be fine to take the pics...I served in Santiago Norte and just got back one year ago!!

Jeff and Carrie said...

This is hard to comment on. But I am liberal and I will look at it on both sides.
My only concern is the whole Legal aspect of this.

It just makes me hurt that husbands/wives' work so hard to provide for children and pay these outrageous taxes and insurance. Whereas the GLBTS "may" have the SAME tax credits for being married.
So what I am getting at. go ahead and let the GLBTS get married but please consider Husbands/Wives' marriages I have a harder time with the GLBTS because they can have 2-jobs or also 2-insurance companies and to top that off get the SAME tax credit for being married!?
There should be a better option for my (husband&wife) marriage so we can continue to provide a better life for our children.
Because without children it would be an lonely world.

The Shirleys said...

I am currently in California and I have seen both sides in the prop 8 campiegn. This nmay be long but you should know the history behind prop 8.

Back in 2000 the people of California voted on where or not Gay marriage should be ligalized. The majority of the people vote NO. Then earlier this year the California Supreme Court Justices voted 4-3 to legalize Gay marriage. That is why Prop 8 was written, this time to make an amendment to the state constitution. The whole campaign againtst prop 8 was saying that their rights would be taken away. (Rights that they should never have had remembering that the majority of the people voted NO.) They also claim that it would have NO affect on others if it passed.

Let me tell you about some of the affects if would have had Prop 8 not passed. They could legally teach children in public schools that gay marriage is normal without giving parents any notice and without giving them the option to take thier child out of school that day. I am talking children as young as kindergarten! This is very confusing for young children.

Also, any clergy/bishop/priest, etc... who refuses to proform a gay marriage in their building can and WILL loose their tax exempt statis. (This encludes the LDS church.) Doctors who refuse to do artificially assemination for Gay couples can and WILL be sue for malpractice.

If Prop 8 hadn't been passed then anyone how said "Traditional Marriage" would be charge with using hate language. Those against Prop 8 want people to think it is about rights and equality. I am here to tell you and to agree with the Church's stance that this IS a MORAL issue.

THe people have now voted TWICE to maintain traditional marriage between a man and a women. There are more people than you can possible image that would have been affected by Prop 8 not passing. I am very proud to say that I help with the campaign to pass prop 8 even though I was't registered to vote here.

I am not judging those who have that alternitive lifestyle. However, I think that we have the right to worship and teach our children the way we want to. This is only a few examples of how EVERYONE would have been affected if Prop 8 hadn't passed.