Friday, August 6, 2010

Wasting Away

Not only have I not contributed to this blog for months, but I severely decreased the amount of blog stalking I normally do. I consider it quite a feat, to thwart my addiction to following peoples' personal lives on the Internet. As much as I truly enjoy procrastinating schoolwork, cleaning, and any other mundane task, I've come to recognize that I have a problem. This past year I have sought entertainment like never before and ignored my responsibilities. Not only did I waste hours upon hours reading strangers' blogs, perusing through failblog, and Facebooking once a day, but I fell ill to the grasp of trashy reality TV. Yes, I M.P., who almost NEVER watched TV through the majority of adolescence, fell victim to the petty stories of others' lives.

I'm about to admit to you my guiltiest pleasures. I think you may be surprised.

1. Clean House. In all actuality, I find it boring and repetitive, and I think the cast tries WAY too hard to be funny. But I get some strange satisfaction in seeing a disaster magically turned into an 'oasis'. Always with awful drapery and paint colors I would never use on my walls. This is only watched when there is nothing else on.

2. Pregnant and...(15, in Peril, 55, I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant, etc). Terribly acting, over dramatized productions of pregnant people and ER doctors. I've never been pregnant. I'm not 15 nor 55. I don't know why I get sucked in. I really don't relate to any of these people. But I watch. And fear giving birth at any moment.

3. America's Next Top Model and Toddlers in Tiaras. I just can't get enough. Oxygen plays marathons of seasons of ANTM, and I waste my entire day because I just can't stop in the middle (though I do try and do something crafty during to at least be mildly productive). Toddlers fascinates me though the parents are all the same, and the idea of spending thousands of dollars on pageants is ridiculous to me. I guess it is the search for ultimate beauty that is preposterous and strangely intriguing...

4. World's Strictest Parents, Trading Spouses, and Nanny 911. Am I just obsessed with imperfect lives? Really? I don't have enough dysfunction in my own?

5. The one I am most ashamed of...Bad Girls Club. Trashiest. TV. Ever. But I watched the entire season last year. And liked it. And hated that I liked it. So this year, I will ignore it. But I will never live that slip of good judgement down.

Why do I bring these up? I'm purging myself of them. Hopefully forever. We have received free cable for the past year and a half or so. We asked Comcast to disconnect it thrice, and never did it happen. So I have had all the cable I could ask for and more. Now they are switching everything to digital, and in 3 days' time it will be no more. Thank goodness. I can get over my reality TV show addictions and return to some sense of normalcy.

Though I really doubt blog stalking will leave my life entirely.

2 comments:

Karissa said...

I also love ANTM! Good thing I don't have cable either, I think I'd get addicted to those marathons.....

Also, it took comcast a month to disconnect our internet, which was nice because we didn'tget our modem we needed for Quest that we ordered off of ebay (don't worry though, we were refuneded) so we would have had no interent for amonth. Come to think of it that may have been good for me too...

I think comcast is trying to make us waste away our lives.

Jeff said...

Well the good news is we still have tv, but comcast cut out a few channels in which some of them were the ones Marni was obsessed with like Oxygen.
- Jeff