Monday, February 18, 2008

Our Ward

Marni and I are currently living in Aggie Village on campus. It's a nice little place that's pretty comfortable. I think the biggest drawback is heating it in the winter because they are only cinder block. But it's cheap rent and we don't have to pay for cable and internet. So our ward is made up of some of the buildings in the area. Our Church is just about a block from our house...good walking distance away. Our Bishop is a great man who we can feel has a great love for us and the other members of the ward. I think the biggest shock to me was that his counselors are probably younger than I am (actually I'm pretty sure they are). I think that it is great having them be our age. They know the area because they live in it. They always claim that living in a married student ward is helping to train and mold the future leadership of the church. Marni got her calling a couple of weeks ago. She is on the compassionate service committee. Her job is to look out for the needs of the ward and if anyone needs help Marni and the other sisters are there. You know when the Relief Society brings over a ton of food after something happens? Well that's the compassionate service part in action. I think that she'll do great. She definitely has the compassion required for the calling. I just received my calling yesterday. I am the 1st counselor in the Sunday School Presidency. For anyone who doesn't know what is entailed in that calling it is where we look after the Gospel teaching of the Church. Basically we train the teachers and make sure that they are teaching correct doctrine and stuff like that. We are trying to improve on the teaching and gospel learning of the ward. I'm excited!! I've been the Sunday School President before a number of years ago in a singles ward and I loved it. Since I'm going into teaching I'm excited to be apart of the teaching of the gospel in the ward. The ward members are really nice and there are some that have taken us in and made us feel welcome. Many of the members are quite reserved so we will make it our mission to get to know others and become their friends.

0 comments: